Thursday, October 1, 2009

150 Words-- Redevelopment Ideas

I would like to explore the materiality and lighting of the Vitra Design Museum in my redevelopment of it. I find that the materials used are very cold, stark and plain. Using different materials and stronger lighting would change the feeling inside and create a different experience as you are making your way through the space.
Frank Gehry first explained the differences in room by wanting a different feeling as you enter and exit each room, although as each room may have a different size and shape they still have the same sterile hospital feeling. Through changing some of the materials in the interior I wish to create a warm comfortable feeling through out the space, and truly finish Gehry's vision.
Using different lighting I also wish to achieve this. I would like to increase natural light into some of the spaces using a slanted window at the top of the wall in one room. The slant being used to protect and ensure only soft lighting and not direct lighting on some of the pieces within the museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment